Monday, July 6, 2015

The A-Z of Black Eyed Boy. U is for ... "Unputdownable"

U is for “Unputdownable”. That was the title of my first ever Amazon review and I couldn’t believe my luck. It was also a five-star review and I had a little cry as it made me so very happy. Nineteen more people have added an Amazon review of Black Eyed Boy since and each one has been amazing. I can’t thank those people enough. Not many people tend to leave a book review so it really is thrilling when you happen to get one, especially if it’s good!
Here’s what the reviewers have had to say:

I started reading this at 11am on the day of release, and I finished it at 4pm! I was asked whether it was because I know the author, I started reading it for that reason, I finished it within 5 hours because it's well written, flows well, easy to read and I was desperate to find out what happened next. Will we find out what kind of life Dylan and Emily have, Laura? I sincerely hope so.

Wow. I downloaded this book this morning and haven't been able to stop reading it! I literally had to keep going until I was finished. Extremely well written and unlike other things I have read. Not your usual helpless girl meets boy- twists, turns, passion and emotion. Everything is in there in perfect quantities. I cannot wait for a second instalment. In the meantime I'm going back to read it again!

I read the whole book in one sitting. It's beautifully written, heartbreakingly sad, but hopeful and romantic at the same time. An exploration of relationships, grief, and first love, with a supernatural twist. O, and a super hot hero, which never hurts ;-). Congratulations Laura, looking forward to the next instalment(s)!

Unputdownable indeed! Downloaded this morning, and devoured promptly. Now waiting impatiently for the second instalment...

I bought this book because I know the author- Laura runs my writing group and as I'm familiar with her writing style I knew this would be a good read. I was less sure about whether the plot would appeal to me as although I knew it was a romance, Laura does love her dark twists and turns. However, although Black Eyed Boy has a distinct gothic air and a feel of foreboding, the romantic in me was pleasantly surprised by just how driven by love the plot actually was.

It's a coming of age tale of that all consuming first love, and reading Emily's feelings towards Dylan took my right back to being a teen again. However, this book definitely has a crossover appeal and isn't just for the young adult audience-it's fresh and original.

Emily is fifteen and when she spots traveller Dylan she (along with all the other girls in town) is under his spell. He's different and mysterious and before long Emily is choosing to spend time with Dylan rather than with her oldest friend Billy or even her terminally ill mother. She is completely smitten with Dylan and nothing else seems significant. Except for the raven who sits on her window ledge each evening...

Beautiful historic Whitby makes a dramatic backdrop for this love story with a difference and the exquisite descriptions of the town transported me straight to one of my favourite UK destinations. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the seaside setting is as much a 'character' as typical teen Emily and gypsy Dylan.

The difficult theme of bereavement is tackled bravely and with an honest sensitivity. I ran the full gauntlet of emotions reading Black Eyed Boy- it had a bit of everything, and a true Yorkshire flavour to boot.

A final note must be reserved for Emily's caring and insightful neighbour Mrs Bishop. I loved her so much! What a wonderful, warm periphery character and a reminder to all readers and writers of the importance of a varied cast to add depth to a novel.

I'm so happy there's going to be more from these characters as a sequel is in the pipeline- please don't let it be too long a wait!

I was drawn to this book because the setting of Whitby is where I spent the first 46 years of my life. I'm so glad I read it. The author captured the essence of this wonderful seaside town perfectly. I could smell the fish & chips, hear the squawking of the seagulls and picture the view mentioned in the book, with ease. But the character development impressed me the most. I felt sorry for every single character without exception at different times in the story. Most of all, fifteen-year-old Emily, whose life is falling apart around her. Handsome Dylan enters her life when she most needs the distraction, but it soon becomes more than that. Emily faces some tough choices as the story unfolds, and the author has done a superb job of creating a world many of us can relate to, yet at the same time adding layers of mystery and intrigue which had me enthralled. I wish Laura success with the novel and I'm looking forward to reading her next book. Well done!

I have enjoyed this book immensely, being in what can only be described as a Black Eyed Boy bubble for the last few hours. The highlight for me was the quality of the beautiful descriptions the author so effortlessly left on every page.

Bought it, read it, loved it, all in one day! A great story, beautifully written, I can't wait for the next one. I'm now off to find more of Laura's work and book a long weekend in Whitby...

Here we meet Emily and her turbulent family, Billy her best friend and the boy, Dylan. There is also a wonderful array of background characters, my personal fav, being Mrs Bishop. The book is set in the seaside town of Whitby, in which Emily lives, it creates the perfect atmosphere and feeling of the town, so much so that i can almost taste the fish and chips! i won't put in any spoilers, but this book in essence is a girl meets boy, with a supernatural twist. It's wonderfully written, beautifully crafted and I'm itching for book 2, I urge everyone to buy it!

A fabulous debut novel from Laura Huntley which centres around 15 year old Emily and the mysterious Dylan. Through Emily, we explore lust, first love, grief, passion, betrayal and loyalty as Emily has to deal with life changing and challenging events that are heaped upon her. With strong characterisation, you end up pitying even the most undeserving characters at some point and shedding tears for others.

A well written novel which is an easy to read page turner, dripping with description, and with a super-natural twist.

I started reading this boook as I know the author, but finished it wanting more about Emily and Dylan. It has it all, from first love to death and sadness to betrayal. If I didn't know better, I would truly think that Laura actually lived in Whitby as her writing is so descriptive, she takes you there! Many congratulations on a brilliant debut, Laura. My only disappointments were that I couldn't read it in one sitting due to other commitments, and that we will have to wait for the sequel!!

WOW what an amazing gift you have bestowed on us in this wonderful book....Love, hurt, sadness, joy and loss... I can't wait to find out what happens in the next chapter of Emily and her Black-Eyed-Boy's life.
I want more.... I NEED more..... brilliant book by a brilliant author. Well done Laura, I'm truly happy that you shared this with us all.
Thank you xx

I downloaded this after a recommendation from a friend. Once I started the book I couldn't stop. It was very well written and kept you wanting to know more. I do hope there will be a second book. I would like to know how things turn out for Dylan and Emily.

Excellent young adult fantasy book, short enough for me to read in one sitting, so would be excellent for teenagers with a short attention span :) Lovely characterisations, I enjoyed it very much. Recommended.

What began as a seemingly normal tale of family and young flirtation, soon hinted that other things were at play. Cleverly woven suggestion, keeping the truth almost to the end, made this a fantastic read.

Loved it! Parts were very close to home for me but very well written and true. Heartbreak, Happiness, Lust, Love it's all there and keeps you wanting more........ Now I just wish the boy was mine!

I got lost in Whitby and Emily's life experiences. This book reminded me of how exciting it is to fall in love. A well tested theme that is so different at the same time. A unique secret.


Absolutely loved this book. So well written and I struggled to put it down. Started it yesterday and finished it this morning and i can't wait to read the next one. Well done Laura. :)


I loved this book! Couldn't put it down! Can't wait for the next one! Fantastic read! Hurry with book two!


Brilliant read.






No comments:

Post a Comment